Saturday, May 5, 2012

And The Beat Goes On

Today we say goodbye to another artist from the soundtrack of my youth.  Adam Yauch aka MCA from the Beastie Boys passed away earlier on Friday. His music with the Beastie Boys came in the 80's when much of Hip Hop was new, influencing future generations. I was one of the millions of "kids" that was a fan.  Admittedly, "Fight For Your Right" was my theme song, probably still would be if I didn't have to do that pesky thing most of eventually do,... grow up and become a responsible adult. My condolences to his family, the Beastie Boys and the fans.


Today it dawned on me, that little by little, I am saying goodbye to my soundtrack. My life had been scored with music and many in the industry have gone to play in a larger band.  In the recent years we have bid a fond farewell to Robert Palmer, Ike Turner, Isaac Hayes, Aaliyah, Lisa "Left-eye" Lopes, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Maurice Gibbs, George Harrison, Jason "Jammaster J" Mizell, Luther Vandeross, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, Don Cornelius, Dick Clark, and now Adam Yauch. The list is becoming endless.  Even a local New York radio station, KISS FM 98.7 has gone off the air. Still, I can remember dancing to their music on my radio in my pink floral bedroom. I can remember getting ready for a date, or going clubbing with my friends with the radio playing in the background as I applied my makeup.

In my mind's eye I am still sixteen, lip-syncing to my hair brush. I am still the young girl learning new dance steps and getting mix tapes from boys trying to woo me.  I savored their music, and those times, but I am not sixteen anymore. Although at times wistful for those days, when the world was still new to me and whenever I was sad I could listen to a ballad. When Hip Hop music was in it's infancy, playing the vinyl (yes I said vinyl) of Rappers Delight until the needle wore a groove in it.  The soundtrack that helped launch me into adulthood, romance, marriage and rescue me during my divorce, slowly is coming to a close.

While I was reflecting on my past radio loves, I watched my own daughters dance around to their music, creating their own soundtracks. I smiled watching the older one try to teach the little one how to "Dougie", reflecting on my own days of the cabbage patch and running man. Although the music tracks that are generally played in my home reflect a newer generation, I am happy to know music is still a great part of my life.

There is a quote by Nietzsche that comes to mind as I write this blog; “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” I have always heard the music, and I am grateful to the artists who have shared their talents with us over the years.  I have lived and I relied on music to get me through the tough times, and ease my soul during the trying times. I have celebrated with joy and merriment, all while gyrating my hips to the beating tempo of great music. 

So I thank them one and all, past, present and future for sharing their souls, their music. Most of all thank you for giving me such great theme music and a wonderful soundtrack.

No quotes tonight, but I am leaving you with this video from the theme song of my youth!

In memory of: Adam Yauch
 (August 5, 1964 - May 4 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment