Monday, June 18, 2012

From My First Love,...To My Last

For Father's Day I thought about the importance of a fathers role in their children's lives. I have been blessed with having two wonderful parents, but this being Father's Day, I reflected on my own dad and what he means to me. Growing up, my family life was very much like that of the Huxtables from The Cosby show. Shorty after the show had begun airing in the 1980's I moved away from home, but thanks to Bill Cosby I was able to "visit" home every Thursday night. My father, like the character of Dr Huxtable, was a professional, and his family was the center of his world. He never failed to have words of wisdom for his children, which is very much like my own father. While other Americans seemed to find the scenario of such a Black family existing, I had only known this to be my reality.,When watching sporting events, you always hear the star players shouting out love to their mothers. Today I am going to shout out my father in this open letter.

                   

Dear Papa,

I know that I already have told you that I love you, but I am not certain you are quite aware as to what an impact you have had on my life. Like most "Daddy's Girls", you were my hero, my superman and the one man I could always count on. Thanks to you I grew up to be the woman that I am today. 

You taught me virtue, integrity, love and gave me self worth. When I was little I was fascinated with everything you did. I remember how I wanted to be with you wherever you went and couldn't wait for you to come home from work.

I can also remember how you took the time to talk to me when I was getting into trouble, or the all too important talk you gave me about boys. What's more, I remember how you love my mom, then and now. Thanks to your devotion, respect and adoration of my mother, I knew what I didn't want in a spouse.

I can recall you taking me to the Girls Scouts Father/Daughter Dance, creating the first of many of our "dates". When I needed you to help direct me in the right direction, you were right there, without prompting, doing your due diligence of rearing me. Even when I stumbled, you held me to a higher standard forcing me to push myself and achieve my goals. 

Your love for my mother has always been one that grounded me. It help provide me with that safe place to fall, knowing that there was security in your union, I always felt safe.  The example of how a man should treat a woman he loves, how a man should be as a father, a provider and a friend were given to me by you, and how you live. This is what led me to the abundance of happiness I have now in my own marriage. 

For this and so many more reasons I want to say; "Thank you Papa!". Thank you for being exemplary as a father and a man, so that I had a blueprint to seek out one just like you. You were (and are) my first love, and led me to my last.

I will forever be your little girl, and you will forever be the man I hold up as the measuring stick. Not just for myself, but for my daughters, so they too can find a man just like you one day to share their lives with.

Simply put, I love you.

Your first born        

No comments:

Post a Comment