Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not So Happy Anniversary

The other day I had an anniversary. Before you get all congratulatory, DON'T, it was the anniversary of my diagnosis. One thing is certain, there is not an MS patient that I know of that does not remember their diagnosis date. It is the day every thing changed. So in honor of all that I lost, I wrote this poem. I have a determined spirit, but even super heroes can get tired of the fight. 






No quotes tonight. Just my poetry. 
As always, comments are welcomed, and appreciated.


RUNNING

I can still remember the way the wind felt
when it blew against my face as I ran
Ran as fast as I could
Ran for sport
Ran for the sheer pleasure

I would run up stairs
I would run down stairs
I ran from here 
to over there
then back again

I can remember being tired from a run
I can remember being invigorated from a run
I remember when I could feel my muscles flex
Each neuron firing telling my legs how to move
Just so I could run

Run
Run
Run

Running as a child for play
Running as a teen to show off
Running as a mom to keep up with a little one



I would run in the morning
An early morning run
When the grass had some dew 
and the sun was just cresting in the sky
Announcing that day had begun
I loved those runs
Just me, my thoughts and the scenery
Running cleared my mind

I would run in the evening
A long relaxing run
When the sun was setting 
and just kissing the sky goodnight 
Telling me day was done
My troubles were left on the pavement 
With each pounding step
As my calf muscles would push off the ground
My quads giving me incredible arc 
So I could leap as I ran

I didn't just run
I flew

Then it STOPPED
That was MS

I still run
I run through fields and meadows
I run in the streets
I run on the track
I even ran across the globe

Difference is I run only in my dreams
Where my memories of cool breezes
Gently blowing on my face still live
Where I still find peace 

Until I awake




 

No comments:

Post a Comment