Thursday, March 22, 2012

Back after a LONG hiatus

Surprise! I am back after a LONG hiatus from my blog. The reason for my absence is a simple one. I was living the life of Limemny Snicketts, in other words a series of unfortunate events. The only good thing is that the majority of it was happening around me, rather than to me.

As the holidays were fast approaching, my little one made a few trips to the hospital due to asthma attacks and double pneumonia. For a kid with asthma nothing is worse, so my attention was diverted to priorities at home. Then my eldest turned 18! Struggling through college applications and getting nervous about her upcoming future causing for great emotional turmoil at home, but just as we begin to deal with that another problem. My mother's best friend, a woman I introduced her to and known for over 30 years died. Tragically she died before the holidays and the grief is still with us. 

What I can say is that I have learned much from her and her death. Susannah Chiarini was the type of woman who you either loved or hated. She spoke her mind and never minced words. The friends that she made however, knew her and her brashness, harsh words and understood that no matter what she said it was never done out of malice. She lived her life with a passion for truth. What my mom remembers most is how when they were together, she never left my mom without telling her how she valued their friendship. 

What I am grateful for is how the love she had for my mom was transferred to her kids, making me a beneficiary of another great, stubborn at times nagging mom to rely on in my hour of need. When I had my first crisis that led to my MS diagnosis she was there to care for my child while I was in the hospital. 

A week before her fatal car crash, I had an opportunity to talk with her on the phone. Susannah was checking in on me since my family was away in Aruba. She wanted me to know she was there, and if I needed anything, she and Nico were only a phone call away. We talked for over an hour, gossiping and laughing and I thanked her before we hung up.

Now that things have calmed down I am able to reflect. I came to many realizations. The most morbid, yet accurate one is that everyone we know will die. I know morbid right? It is, to be cliche, the circle of life. It is what we are all guaranteed at birth. The moment we take that first breath of air, that first gasp into life, we will also take a last. Thing is we don't know when that moment will happen. So the lesson, cherish each breath in between.

Another lesson I learned is that with each breath, remember you are here for a purpose and are duty bound to find that reason. Duty bound because to live a life without purpose is not to live. Find your passion, find your gift and have faith in yourself. 

If you read this blog I hope that you take away the lessons and learn or at least take heed to my words. We do not get a second chance, we have only one life to live. It is up to us to live it and when I say live I mean LIVE. Remember it will count as long as you make it count. I know I am!

With gusto I took my cue and began to write as much as possible. I am proud to say that I have many chapters under my belt and I love how it is turning out. Soon it will be complete and then I will be on the hunt to find an agent and a publisher. My purpose is to write, and to write a book that everyone will want to read. Hopefully I will also inspire another writer to create a novel.

Now you know I can't leave without giving you a quote so here are a few to chew on; 
"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."~ Grace Hansen

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song."~Chinese proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment