Monday, September 10, 2012

In Remembrance of the Fallen

There isn't a New Yorker that I know of, that will not shed a tear today. Whether it is while they are alone, or surrounded by others, also joining in mourning. Today is September 11th. A day that is forever seared in our hearts and minds, a day that America found out that terror can and will visit itself upon our shores, a day that we remember the fallen.

It also happens to be a Tuesday, the same day when the heinous tragic act of terrorism took place. I remember that day of eleven years ago as clearly as if it were yesterday. I can still feel the air of that morning, I also still feel the slight panic I had from running late for work, knowing I had a ten a.m. project meeting. The worst is I can still smell the odor that lingered in the air from the aftermath.  

Here we are eleven years later and I still can't bring myself to go downtown. I had an opportunity to go recently for a family function, during the drive; once we got past Varrick Street, I held my breath. Though the skyline has changed permanently, in my mind's eye it is all still the same, making what my eyes actually see hard to digest. Still when I look to the city from New Jersey, I search for those two towers, in a city I once called home, and still so many years later I am distressed to see they are gone from my vision. I suppose it is the same for many of those who were there or have a connection to the Towers.
 
Normally, on this solemn day I retreat. First within myself, then, from the world outside (read previous post: Remembrance). I take this time to reflect, cry and remember.  I remember my friends, coworkers, the people I stood next to on the elevator, whose name I never knew, and the countless faces that no longer grace us with their presence. I hear the sound of the whistling hiss that ran through the air, sounding like a missile before the ground shook for a second time when the South Tower was hit. This year I want something different, this year I want to say thank you,..again.

I want to thank those courageous first responders, who willingly, without concern for themselves, came into the fire while we ran for our lives. I want to thank the firefighters, police officers and EMS that acted out of bravery, to save the lives of strangers. I want to give thanks to the soldiers who stood guard, and those who went to far off lands, in order to fight in two wars for our nation. I also want to thank those brave passengers, who took it upon themselves to give their own lives, rather than be used to cause further carnage on American soil. All of the above mentioned, were willing to pay with the ultimate sacrifice,..their lives for our FREEDOM.

A lot has happened since that day eleven years ago. I got remarried and had another child, a daughter who is still too young to understand what occurred on this day, in the not so distant past.  She will learn from me of its' significance and of the exemplary acts of courage that followed, from school it will be another piece of American history.

The only thing that I can hope for is that during this election year our politicians can take a moment from the rhetoric, and pause to reflect as well. The spirit of the day in America, following the attacks on the Towers and the Pentagon and the crash of Flight 93, was that of a united front. We were one, we were shell-shocked, but we were not defeated, because to defeat the American spirit, you would have to eliminate all of us. We draped ourselves in Red, White and Blue, not in Republican or Democrat nor Independent. The voices of the people resounded in a thunderous chorus, sounding off as one. To paraphrase one of my favorite poets, Dylan Thomas; we will not go gently into that good night! We will rise up, for united we stand, and united we were on that warm September morning and the somber days that followed. 

We sometimes need to remember this, especially at a time when our nation is tearing itself apart during a Presidential election. Rather than divide, we need to remember the thread that holds us all together, the thread that keeps us tethered to a flag, a nation, an ideal; that of Freedom and Democracy for all.  I for one will wrap myself in Old Glory,and  in the true tenements that established this country. It is our ideals that others despise, it is viewed by our enemies as our arrogance, but it is not arrogance, but pride. Although we are not perfect, we have had many failings in our history, but we have always held onto the ideal that freedom is a precious right of all citizens. 

This is still a nation that many come to seeking that freedom, and opportunity for a better life. We are and have always been a nation of immigrants, a diversity that strengthen its people, making us stronger and always the beacon calling others to want what we have. So rather wallow in my grief, I will rejoice in my freedom, my pride and my nation. For what other country could produce so many heroes, that came from all walks of life, and selflessly stood together to save their brethren, regardless of the cost to themselves. 


 
In Remembrance to the 2,977 Lives Lost on 9/11. 

To the families, my heart is still with you. 

We will never forget
To my friends, I miss you

Farah Jeudy    Joey Maio    Christopher Scudder

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Chris, for expressing this. I've had such a hard time describing what is was like afterwards, when everyone was drawing together and bonding through a shared common tragedy, the spirit of togetherness, of healing, of one, of America. And your words bring me back to that day, in the spirit of remembering and never forgetting while moving forward and begin to grow anew.

    ReplyDelete