Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Nipple-Gate 2011

Ok America, I waited, some would say with bated breath, yet you disappointed me today.  How pre tell; it was your lack of OVER reaction. In 2004, during an amazing halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, Janet Jackson had s wardrobe malfunction. This would become the nipple seen round the world, by the time last call at your local sports-bar occurred that Sunday. Personally, I haven't missed a single Super Bowl or halftime show since I realized that I was as old as the Bowl game itself , yet I missed all the hoopla because I turned my head for a few seconds reaching for my drink and some dip. Being a man, my husband caught it, my daughter did not, but much to my chagrin much of America became enthralled and obsessed with her shielded nipple. I only know this because it opened every news program, major newspaper headline, talk show and late night comedy opening monologue. You would have thought that Ms Jackson had attempted to overthrow the government with her nipple. I began to think that most of Americans had not been breast fed and had developed issues over it. That was 2004,...

Monday night, it happened again! Another channel, another celebrity, another wardrobe malfunction and another nipple; exposed to millions of families! Yet, there were a few differences this time around. No one screamed, the censors weren't calling for her head as they had with Ms Jackson. There was not even talk about fining her for having shown her nipple to not only the judges, studio audience but America. This time, I didn't miss it either, I happen to catch the glimpse while flipping through channels. My belief is if I caught it, many more saw it too! However, still today it was merely a blurb and even dare I say it, some sympathy for poor Nancy Grace.

I waited, I watched, surely Fox News will lead the charge and call against indecency! Still nothing! Finally, I had to admit a few things to myself at this point, and before you profess that we have grown as a nation, need I remind you there was a call to boycott this very same program before the "nipple incident" due to the fact there is a transgender male on the show. Yes, seeing a man named Chaz dance across the floor is going to bring down the country, not seeing some older non MILF's teat for a period of time.  

So where is the congressional hearing? Nipplegate II decree, banning all women from going on the air without proper nipple coverage protection? It is nowhere. No one is angered, no parents yelling at the producers about skimpy outfits, no one fining Nancy Grace, and all I want to know is why?  Why was it a horrid travesty that nearly derailed Janet Jackson's career, while Nancy Grace didn't even make it for more than two punch lines? Was this unbalance in the scales occurring because Nancy's dance partner did not throw her under the bus as Justin Timberlake did Janet? Or is it another ugliness that lies deep in our nation? I don't expect you to answer me on this one, but I do want you to think on it. Because seriously, if you have seen Janet Jackson's body in 2004 and Nancy Grace in 2011, well you tell me who looked better. Ladies tell me which of those bodies would you prefer to have and men,..well you can tell me which one you just prefer! Point is, I am watching you America and believe me when I say I am keeping notes.

Surprisingly, my quote is one to think on, let it marinate for a while; "Guilt has very quick ears to an accusation." - Henry Fielding

No comments:

Post a Comment