Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day of School

Today is a very important day in our house, our youngest turned four! Better than that however, she is beginning her education. Believe it or not she is more excited about the latter. It makes me proud to say that she is enthusiastic about going to school, then again at four what is there not to look forward to. Room filled with other little people such as herself, along with books, toys and a playground.

Now you might be asking why is she starting so late? The reality is I could not register her in March of last year since she was not yet fully immunized or potty trained. She accomplished both and this made us late with registration, (June of 2011) putting her on a waiting list. Her name was drawn in a lottery when a spot opened up and now she begins a new chapter in her life and I too!

Pre-K is what Kindergarten had been when I was a kid. Half days in a classroom with kids five days a week. She is so looking forward to it and I will get a few hours back to myself. I cannot wait for next year when she is in school from 8am until 3pm! I am already singing "OH HAPPY DAY!" in anticipation.  

It is not that I mind being a mom with a toddler all day long to entertain and teach, but frankly I went through this chapter and my eldest is now a senior in high school looking at colleges. Seems as though both my babies are growing up! 

I have done my best with the little one, teaching her the alphabet, how to spell her name, sound out words and add. Just as I had done with her sister. Because I have an affinity for words and books I have tried to pass this on to my kids by reading to them and making books as exciting for them as possible. Showing them that between the covers lies a world onto itself that they can travel to anytime they pick up a book. This gave my oldest daughter a veracious appetite for books, and is always seen reading books for enjoyment, the little one is not too far behind, only asking that we read constantly to her. 

On the eve before her first day I find myself reminiscing about the first day of my oldest daughter in school. I had prepared myself for her tears as I would have to turn and leave her with strangers. I just knew she would want me to stay. To my utter surprise and dismay, she ushered me out the door and was quick to say goodbye. Only to find it was me that wasn't ready, and sat in my car in the parking lot crying at my loss of a baby and the beginning of watching my little girl. So tomorrow I will again be steadfast and try to be brave for her and will hang around in case she needs me, only this time I will bring Kleenex for myself, just in case I am told to leave yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment