Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Bunnies and what not

When I was young I always wondered what chocolates and a bunny had to do with Easter. I enjoyed hunting for eggs, another confusing thing because eggs come from chickens, and like most kids I loved candy, so the hunt was on. Then as I grew up and Easter baskets were meant for the younger, I left the mythology of bunnies and eggs alone, but always held the question in my head.

Then I went to college and studied art, I also studied religion. The link between the two go hand in hand, being that most artisans of history had benefactors and sponsorship from the church. Upon studying DaVinci's Last Supper, I realized I was looking at a Seder dinner. Funny how I never really put Passover and Easter together until then. Still though, no bunnies. My quest as to where the Easter Bunny came from began again.

Then after much research and asking theologians, the relationship was made clear to me. The Roman Catholic Church was the first church of Christianity, think of them as the grande dame for all other Christian religions. They had a large task ahead of them, having acquired this new faith they felt it was their responsibility to convert as many as possible and bring them into the fold.  Problem  was that the other predominant religions were Pagan based, they had their own structure, which strongly opposed what was being espoused by the church. Whereas Roman Catholics were a patriarch based religion, Pagans were matriarch; in order to incorporate and make Pagans more willing to come over the church chose to incorporate some celebrations that were linked to that of the church's calendar. Easter fell near the Spring Equinox, and it was festival time for the Pagans, which meant feasting on May Wine and lots of treats. See where I am going here, one central figure was the rabbit, a symbol of fertility and new beginnings, as was the egg. The newness of flowering trees and the return of warm weather were seen as an awakening. The church also shared the Jewish calendar. Remember Leonardo's painting? This is how we know The Last Supper was most likely a Seder meal. So now all of my questions were answered, but today I have a new one.

This past Easter Sunday, when many Christians got up to do their egg hunt with the kids, go to church to praise a renewal of their faith, and the Jewish community was in the midst of celebrating Passover, why are we so lost? The other day five African Americans were shot for the color of their skin, sadly three died. In Sanford Florida, a young man was killed forty-five days ago, and still the question hangs as to whether or not his shooter should be arrested. The Justices are debating the merit of a Healthcare system that benefits the whole of our society. Mind you this issue is being debated by those who have insurance coverage. There are homes still being foreclosed, because banks still don't want to part with money. Lack of funding in new technology is making us fall behind, and burn fossil fuels which is adding to the global warming problem, (and believe me it is a problem when the only major snow in the Northeast comes before Halloween and F-4 tornadoes come early in the season). And the problem list goes on and on. So where is our renewal? 

Have we become so insular that the word inclusion has left our lexicon? What I mean by this is when did we stop thinking about one another and only think of ourselves? Perhaps we all should take some time between the chocolate bunny ear snacking and matzoh ball soup to think of our neighbors and community. Only good can come from selflessness, we have already reaped enough from selfishness. I for one am ready for new change of pace. Hopefully I have given you something to chew on, aside from treats that is. 

In the meantime let's try an experiment, for one week do an act of kindness for a stranger. I am curious how that may effect positive change in the world, in return as them to pay it forward to another stranger. If you decide to try this with me, come back to my blog and comment about your gift of kindness. I firmly believe that just hearing about it may encourage others to follow suit.

You know I have to leave you with a quote, so here are two. I purposefully chose from these specific people due to the way they led their lives with principle. Carol Moseley Braun broke down some color barriers and is a woman of conviction. Elliot Richardson is one of my obscure heroes, his having been a Republican and all, he refused a direct order from then President Nixon to fire the special prosecutor during Watergate, he had integrity. I think we can all use a little of that in our lives.


"I really think that's the key, part of the spiritual renewal that America needs to have, the notion that we really can have confidence in a better tomorrow."~Carol Moseley Braun

"If there are flaws they are in ourselves, and our task therefore must be one not of redesign but of renewal and reaffirmation, especially of the standards in which all of us believe."~ Elliot Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment