Saturday, August 6, 2011

45 years in the making

Today is my birthday! Historically it is also the day of the Hiroshima bombing and on the very day I was born Braniff Airlines Flight 250 crashed, killing all 42 on board. These were facts that a teacher felt I needed to know when I was 8 years old. It made me think that my birthday was cursed, believing that I think I stirred up my own bad karma on my birthday, making me not look forward to it.

Then I learned that Lucille Ball shared my birthday, that most definitely weighed out misfortune. Since then I discovered that Robert Mitchum, M. Knight Shyamalan, Michelle Yeoh, Catherine Hicks, a Spice Girl and Alfred Lord Tennyson all shared my day to name a few. Not bad for August 6th! This made me realize that my day was blessed, blessed with creative talented people and that I myself am one.

I do not seek fame or fortune, or even recognition for that fact, I know I can write well. However, on my 45th year of life I know what I want to be when I grow up, a published author. Had you asked me a year ago if it were possible, I might have answered no, but today my answer is without a doubt!

So I will toast my fellow August 6 babies and give praise to us and all that we have accomplished (and will continue to accomplish). Perhaps one day some kid who was born on this date will add my name to their list of birthday heroes and toast me as well. 

Either way I say Happy Birthday to Us! Especially Ms Lucille Ball who would be 100 had she lived so long.

There is a quote today: "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”- Abraham Lincoln
and another for good measure:"I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not”- Lucille Ball




No comments:

Post a Comment