Saturday, August 27, 2011

My past visiting

I had a strange experience earlier this evening, which of course I am going to share with you. Since we are on a Hurricane Irene alert here in NY; which by the way is reason number 2 on my list of why I don't live in Florida; I went supply shopping for bottled water. Fortunately for me I was raised by a Caribbean mother, who taught me to stock up on food and candles, but I needed to make sure we had enough water and ice to hold us through the storm.

While shopping in Target, with my husband and youngest child, minding my own business, I hear my name. Now it is not unusual to hear it, I have a common name, but somehow I knew this was meant for me. There he was, a guy I used to "date" back in my single and thank God I am free days. It's been 10 years, I knew the face but couldn't place it, but it was an ex. Then he says one word and it all comes rushing back. I was thrown for a loop. Turns out he is now residing in my county. Please bear with me and that harsh statement, but this is my county. I spent my teen years here, learned to drive, went to high school and met my first husband here. So when I dated I purposefully, let me repeat that word, PURPOSEFULLY chose to date men that did not live here. I chose people who hadn't even heard of this area. Yet, here he was shopping with his wife and child, turns out it is where he lives now too! 

It isn't as though I was heartbroken over him when it ended, as a matter of fact we both were the bad guys in the end, but still why here? The shocking thing is that this is number three of my ex's who have decided to move to where I live. For goodness sake, I did not show them the town when we dated, nor did I brag of my quiet respite of a small town and county, however all three have come here to my neck of the woods to settle down in. I only have this to ask, one is coincidence, two is strange but three,....three is downright eerie! Why are they here?

With all three, they saw me, they called me out, and they all remembered me, I on the other hand needed some prompting to remember them! Says a lot of the impact they made in my life, but I am curious of the influence I might have had on theirs. Just a thought.


Had to search far and wide for a quote tonight: "The universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor" -Carrie Bradshaw Sex in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment