Thursday, July 28, 2011

Friends

It always amazes me as to how many "friends" I have on the internet. I thought it ridiculous that on Facebook I could have over 500 (including family). Are these people truly my friends? Then I started this blog and asked, nay, begged for people to follow me. Guess what those 500 plus whittled down to 14. 

To me that sounded more reasonable as to friends. I think sometimes the internet and technology has taken away the intimacy of human beings. People who used to call one another now send tweets, or hieroglyphed messages via text. These are not conversations and we are beginning to lose the art of communication. 

Which got me to thinking, has this lack of dialogue contributed to the mess in Congress? Is it possible that people have forgotten how to have a meaningful conversation, leading to the break down of a meeting of the minds so that we become stuck in the mire and muck? 

Granted, I may be exaggerating the reach of typing "smh" or "rofl" and even tweeting any celebrity or politician making some of us believe that we have reached them in some menial way, perhaps just enough to be noticed.

I believe a friend is someone who knows my number, knows my kids' names, has an idea of what kind of beast I am if you call me anytime before coffee or 9am (whichever comes first)! Friends are the ones with the well wishes when I am recovering from another exacerbation and know I constantly lose my cell phone so call the house!

Everyone else is an acquaintance, or even old friend from the past. I welcome them, you, whomever to become my friend by getting to KNOW me. 

Anyway it was just what I was thinking.


Today's quote: "A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they're not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they're not so bad."  ~Arnold H. Glasgow

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right Chris,Face book has been a blessing and a curse. I love the idea of reconnecting with old friends and keeping up with family, but what has happened to the pen, apiece of paper or just a simple card.
    I remember my mom making us write Thank you notes or call a friend or family member to say Thank you or we just miss you.
    I miss hour long talks with friends, but everyone's life has gotten so busy that a txt or email is ok.
    I know my true friends, we may not speak everyday or every week or even every month but we are there for one another just the same. I could do away with FB and know who will call me or send a simple message.
    Good Luck with your book I will be watching for it....
    Your old high school friend
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what this was a great piece. I have come to learn that a real friend is someone you do not have to chase via text/tweet/email/phone call or in person. A real friend comes on free will and like Whodini said not that many you can truly call friends.

    ReplyDelete