Saturday, July 16, 2011

Signs I am getting old

All this time I prided myself on being young of mind, you know that my mental age was still that of the younger me from post high school, pre-family and adult obligations. I am here to tell you as young as I may have thought I was, well my teenager let me know that shipped has sailed for me a long time ago.
This isn't a tragic occurrence for me, just a little jarring. I am proud of the almost 45years I have had the pleasure to grace this earth thus far, and look forward to 45 more at least. I have gained a wealth of wisdom, knowledge and experience. 
Still it was startling to have a teen explain to me the way teens think today as opposed to how my generation processed information and the expectations we had for one another. I talk to my teen to get a nod while creating my characters, since the lead characters are teens. Thankfully she has been a good reference to have allowing me to breathe life into Raven, Jonah, Astrid & Autumm, and Lucas. It has been an eyeopener to realize that things we took seriously then, the teens of today are rather blase about it.
Conclusion, I am 45, not 19 and I thank God for that! I may not think like a teen, and at times not relate, but who wants to when you have your own bag of tricks to grab ideas from? So keep dreaming, keep a young heart but most of all let wisdom be your guide as you follow your passion!




Today I leave you with two (2) quotes: "The years teach much which the days never knew."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
and
"Youth is a wonderful thing.  What a crime to waste it on children."  ~George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment