Sunday, July 31, 2011

What happened America?

It would be, I feel, irresponsible of me not to mention my thoughts on the situation that is currently brewing in Washington, D.C.. I know I am not alone with my questions, what happened to us? Surely we all saw this coming, and this rant is not about Republicans, Democrats or even the Tea Party. This is a rant about how far off course we have gone with not being able to fix problems that effect millions of Americans. 

I am deeply sadden by the great divide that exists in our nation today. What happened to "ONE NATION UNDER GOD"? Is it possible that when we took ethics, civics and the Pledge of Allegiance from our classrooms, we inadvertently placed ourselves on a set of tracks leading straight off a cliff?

When I was young, if children had a dispute on the playground, we were told to go talk and work it out. However, this concept escapes the minds of the elected officials (that need I remind them WE put in office), to negotiate and make compromises. I understand that people want to protect the stances of their constituents, but at the expense of the nation as a whole does not seem sane nor feasible to me. I cannot rationalize in my head, and I most definitely cannot justify, why we refuse to tax those with plenty over those that have to worry about whether to pay a mortgage or pay a doctor or a grocery bill. 

The middle class is vanishing folks and we are a country filled with working poor. Our economy will never rebound if we protect the groups that can and should afford the burden of rebuilding this nation. We are our brother's keeper! I also do not understand why the fat cannot be trimmed on certain programs, or making the universal healthcare, that so many want, just be Medicare for all and reorganize social security so that it is here for my children.

Time is running out here people and this foolishness is more than a little serious. If we have no resolve not only can government shut down but, so can public works, infrastructure and it will trickle down unlike cash in big business's hand. I am stunned when I see Congress shouting at each other accomplishing nothing. I remember September 11, 2001 but more importantly I remember September 12th, 2001, the next day there were flags everywhere and it was beautiful, we were united and we were one. We need to think about that and stop with the infighting since all that is happening is, again, absolutely nothing.

Now I know some of you will say to me, but it isn't that simple. Isn't it? If we are all truly guided by honorable principals an agreement could be met. I have faith that eventually we will come back from this, I am just hoping that we don't take any more casualties to achieve it. 

This time I do not leave you with  a quote, instead I choose these words: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all!"

I thought we all needed a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment